Subject: Re: What is BCPL
From: [email-masked] (D.P. Grisby)
Date: Wed, 26 May 1993 13:44:57 GMT
Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga.applications,comp.sys.amiga.programmers,comp.sys.amiga.misc

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked] (Mark Andrew Hawling) writes:
|> 	 Seems to be some form of code that C= used in their
|> 1.3 WB. Any hints on what it is, why does everybody hate it, and how much
|> is left in the new OS's ? Oh I am talking about BCPL ... is it that what it's
|> called ?
|> 		George
|> 

The Amiga's multitasking OS is based on the Tripos operating system which
was developed here in Cambridge. Tripos was implemented in BCPL (also
developed here :-), so much of the original Amiga OS was also written in
BCPL (especially dos.library and many c: commands). All of the BCPL code
was replaced with C code in v2.0x of AmigaDOS, but for compatibility
reasons, calls to dos.library still involve BCPL-style pointers, which are
different to C pointers. Strings are handled differently by BCPL too.

-- 
 |  Duncan Grisby      |                                 |      //        |
 |  Queens College,    | Internet: [email-masked] |     // /|      |
 |  Cambridge CB3 9ET, |    Janet: [email-masked] | \\ // /-|MIGA  |
 |  ENGLAND.           |                                 |  \X/           |